Friday, January 6, 2012

Makin' Mayo and Chicken Salad



Today I was seriously craving one of my favorite dishes that my sister Sena makes: shredded chicken salad with cranberries and walnuts on pita bread. So, I called her up and got the scoop on how she makes it. I tweaked it a bit to save some time (crock pot to pressure cooker) and ended up with a pretty delicious dinner. 


Homemade Mayo *recipe pending
One problem. We were out of mayo. So... I made some. I was so excited with the final whipped product that I accidentally threw the food processor blade to the floor and ended up with quite the mess...  plus mayo on my jeans, sweater, and hair. Ay! Worth it.

Cranberry-walnut Chicken Salad

2 chicken breasts
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic

2/3 - 1 cup craisins (loosley packed)
2/3 - 1 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup mayo (or however much you want)
salt and pepper to taste




Place the 2 chicken breasts in your pressure cooker, add 1 bay leaf and 1 clove garlic (crushed). Lock and seal pressure cooker. When it pressurizes let it cook for 6-8 minutes and then take off the burner. Let the pressure release naturally. Shred chicken with a knife and fork. Don't nibble too much on it! Let cool and refrigerate. 





Add craisins, walnuts, mayo, salt and pepper, and stir until thoroughly combined. Scoop into pita pockets or bread of choice. (We did not have time to bake any pitas, so we threw this on some tortillas from the other night).
Enjoy!

1 comment: