Recently I saw a recipe for bacon wrapped green beans and began craving bacon! I decided to play with the idea, wrap up some fresh asparagus with a healthier bacon, and see what would happen. The outcome was an incredible success! I only wish I would have had some white wine to compliment this dinner...
- Preheat oven to 400'F.
- Rinse asparagus, trim the ends, and lightly coat in olive oil.
- Wrap 4-5 spears with one strip nitrite-free turkey bacon.
- Add freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.
- Place bundles on an oven grate or slotted broiler pan with a pan underneath to allow excess fat to drip off the bacon.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve asparagus spears over a bed of wild rice seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper, gala apples (cut into match sticks), and walnuts. Top with freshly grated asiago or smoked gouda. Enjoy!